About BCMC Events Schedule Club Forums Hut Booking News - Media Club Resources Search
 
Trip is cancelled
Trip Information
Name: LAST MINUTE TRIP - Mount Seton
Starts: Tue Jul 14, 2020
Meetup: 8:30am at the entrance to the Cottonwood Rec Site
Return: Tue Jul 14, 2020

Registration opens: Sun Jul 12, 2020
Event category: Scrambling
Difficulty grade: B2  [?]
For members only: Yes
Screening used: Yes
Max participants: 6

Organizer: Dan Richardson
Profile info:
Trip Planning Questions

What's your fitness level like that at the moment?

Are you ok with knowing that the weather may change and that fresh snow may make for more difficult travel and that there might be a lot of downed trees on the trail to contend with?

What kind of vehicle are you driving and are you comfortable trying to make it to the trailhead? If you are hoping to carpool on the logging road, are you comfortable with wearing a mask and riding in a vehicle with others with the windows open?

Are you interested in car camping before or after?

Please use the following questionnaire: https://bc.thrive.health/covid19/en

Did you answer No to all questions?

Login to Join BCMC Trips

You must login in order to sign up online for one of the BCMC Trips. If you don't have a BCMC membership account then please obtain one.  If you'd prefer to learn more before joining then please join as a 30-day Guest member.   Some trips are BCMC members only.

Participant Information

Cancelled - No one joined in time.

Distance: ~13km+. Elevation gain: 1400m. Time: 6-9hrs?

Pace: Probably a bit faster than an average hiking speed.

The forecast has taken a turn for the better! We'll hike the 'Saddlebags Trail' to Saddlebags Lake and ascend the easy, but loose and possibly covered with fresh snow, south slopes of Mt Seton to the summit. No exposure, but with loose rocks and snow, it may be slow or frustrating. I'll likely opt for micro-spikes. I'd suggest bringing high-top hiking shoes as a minimum and microspikes. The snow from this winter seems to have melted, it's just been the new snow that's been falling, so it may or may not be melted by Tuesday. Note also, the weather isn't looking particularly warm, though at this point it's not calling for rain. But you'll need to be prepared for all weather, due to the unpredictable nature of the weather lately.

The trail is likely not in ideal condition. Reports from last year indicate a decent amount of deadfall as well as having to cross an avy path that has a lot of trees down.

Once we meet up, we have the option to carpool up the final logging road. The road has been reported as clear this year, but I can't recall how much clearance is needed to get to the trailhead. Medium clearance and 2wd may or may not make it. High clearance 4wd will have no trouble (which I'll have). You may of course elect to drive by yourself on the logging road too. If we have enough interest and high clearance vehicles, I'll consider upping the max participants to 6. If I'm already out of cell range and you think this is a good trip for you, just sign up and show up, unless the trip already looks full.

I will be car camping Monday night (and maybe Tuesday night too) at one of the nearby rec sites along the east end of the Duffey Lk Rd, you're welcome to join me. Please check the planning forums before the trip as I'll put any last minute info there. I'm dayhiking Monday and then when I head up the Duffey I'll be out of cell range so I won't be reachable except at the meeting point. If folks want to meet up sooner or in cell range to carpool, feel free to mention that in the forum,

Meetup will be at the Cottonwood Rec Site. This is a few hundred meters west of the Downton Creek FSR. There will not be cell service there, so please show up early. We won't wait more than 15min beyond the meetup time, though you're welcome to try to catch us on the trail.

Other trips or events organized by this BCMC member
RSS
 
 
Dan Richardson Grade: C4 Start: Fri 26 Feb '21
M:6, C:4, W:0
3 full days, south to north, Garibaldi attempt on 2nd day
Dan Richardson Grade: C3 Start: Thu 1 Oct '20
M:4, C:2, W:0
3-day off-trail trip with Class 3 scrambling
Dan Richardson Grade: C3 Start: Tue 8 Sep '20
M:4, C:2, W:0
A high elevation scramble off the Duffey Lk Rd.
Copyright © 2021 British Columbia Mountaineering Club